Like most websites, the Garden Butterfly Survey website uses essential cookies to provide the service. We also ask about use of non-essential cookies for enhanced functionality and analytics.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small file, typically of letters and numbers, downloaded on to a device when the user accesses certain websites. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user's device.
There are two types of cookies:
- per session cookies, which are temporary cookies that remain in the cookies file of your browser until you leave the site: and
- persistent cookies, which remain in the cookies file of your browser for longer (how long depends on the lifetime of the specific cookie). These cookies are used to store information between visits to a site usually to improve your experience of the site e.g. to remember the position of the map last used.
For more information about cookies, please see www.allaboutcookies.org
Cookies used on the Garden Butterfly Survey website
This website uses the following types of cookies:
- Strictly necessary for the functionality of the survey form
- Essential per session cookie – to manage your login to the website.
- Where enabled, to enhance survey form functionality or performance
- Persistent functional cookies to remember settings e.g. the map location between sessions, to make it faster for you to enter data for the same locality.
- Where enabled, Google Analytics cookies to track your session usage (further details below)
- ga cookies including
- First-party browser cookie from Google Analytics that has a randomly-generated ClientID
- Per-session and permanent cookies for different requirements
- ga cookies including
We use Google Analytics on this website for aggregated, anonymised website traffic analysis. If you agree to the use of non-essential cookies a Google Analytics cookie will be switched on with a randomly generated ClientID in your browser. This ID is anonymised and contains no identifiable information like email or name. We also send Google your IP address. You can read more about our processing of personal data within the Privacy Notice and more about how Google manages the data it collects here.
We use Google Analytics to carry out statistical analysis of page use, page interactions, paths and traffic sources to the website, allowing us to evaluate and further improve our website and this survey.
Essential cookies that are strictly necessary for you to take part in the survey are set for the website.
We require your consent to set non-essential cookies, including persistent functional and analytics enabling cookies. Please confirm if you accept or decline the use of these non-essential cookies on this website. You will be prompted to do this when you first use the website.
By accepting the use of non-essential cookies, you are accepting to the use of Google Analytics. You can change your mind and opt out of Google Analytics at any time by going to the Google Analytics setting in your Account details from the home page once logged in. Or to opt out of being tracked via Google Analytics you can use Google's opt-out browser add-on, see https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. If you would like to access what browsing information we have, or ask us to delete any Google Analytics data, please delete your _ga cookies, contact us at email@example.com.
and regarding Google Analytics
Please note if cookies are disabled you may not be able to use all the interactive features of our site.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this cookie notice are welcomed and should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Butterfly Conservation, Manor Yard, East Lulworth, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 5QP.